Sunday, April 3, 2011

3 Weeks+4 days

Hey-Oh Guys! I know I am totally lame and bad at posting and I'm very sorry! I don't have a very good excuse. I'm just lazy. But I'm writing now! So that's something. A lot has happened so I'm not totally sure what to write about, but I suppose I'll write a few little fun anecdotes and hope it makes up for my lack of attentiveness to my attentive readers.

"I {Heart} Art" or "All the Cool Kids Hang Out at Museums"

Madrid is home to 3 large and super incredible museums: The Prado, The Reina Sofia and The Thyssen- Bornemisza. As of this afternoon, I have been to all three! Now here's the part where I brag about all the amazing artists I have seen. Frida Kahlo, Georgia O'Keefe, Monet, Manet, Rembrant, Picasso, Dalhi, Renoir, Da Vinci, Van Gogh, Matisse, Goya, Kandinsky, Chagall, Morisot, Luce, Degas... You know, the usual. The Thyssen was by far my favorite museum, the collection had all the great impressionists and post-impressionists and the works were varied enough to be interesting but similar enough to flow together. I also went to a gorgeous exhibition there called "Heroines" that was all work portraying women or done by female artists. It was incredible. The work in the exhibition spanned thousands of years and multiple genres: it was fantastic. The Reina Sofia is a modern art museum and although some of the art was a bit too modern-y for me (Seriously? You painted a big circle in the middle of a canvas? Really?), I got to see Guernica, and it was one of the most breath-taking pieces of art I have ever seen. It blew me away. The Prado was mostly classic art and painters and as much as I enjoyed being surrounded by the history (the paintings spanned from the 14th to 17th centuries mostly) one can only look at so many paintings of Jesus and Spanish royalty before it gets a little bit old. Literally! Ha! But seriously, I'm just an art junkie. The best times I've had here have been looking at art and exploring the areas around the museums. Also, I've gotten some kick-ass gifts for people at the museum gift shops. Hell yeah!


"Friends Make Graphs Together"

I have friends now! Well, in Spain that is. I still have no friends in the States... Just kidding! But seriously. I struck up a conversation with a girl in a museum a few weeks ago and she was a fellow traveler who was in Madrid for a few days. She was from Germany and studied history at university so wandering around Sol with her was great! She knew all these interesting and random facts about the old buildings and cathedrals. Spain is so full of history! She invited me to come out with her and a few girls she had met at her hostel that night and we had a great time. Two of the other girls were also from Germany and leaving the next day but one of the girls I met, named Helene, is staying in Madrid for three months! We all had a blast eating tapas and drinking sangria and Helene and I have hung out a few more times and are planning a trip to Lisbon, Portugal this weekend. I'm SO psyched. It has also felt really nice to talk with and connect with people.

One of my biggest challenges here is not the homesickness, or the loneliness, although they are both difficult. My biggest battle has had to do with the language barrier. The language barrier has kept me from being able to express what I'm thinking or want to say. The worst part though, is not feeling like myself because of it. When I'm listening to a conversation, I can't interject with my opinions or make a funny comment; when I meet someone new, I can't compliment them on their purse or scarf to strike up a conversation. It's making me a much better listener, but it's hard to be away from everything I know and not even have the comfort of my own self. But I'm also having a chance to learn and grow from this feeling. I was talking to my mom about it and she was saying that very often, we define ourselves based on the people around us. And especially being the social butterfly that I am, I tend to do this. I am getting an opportunity that most people never get: to define myself away from
everyone and everything that is familiar to me. To define who I am, who I want to be, completely on my own. And as scary or discomforting as it may be, it is such an incredible chance to really be my own person. Many people share that they have learned more about themselves while traveling than they ever did at home, and I think this is why. Just like all the challenges I face here, I'm taking this one with an open mind and an open heart, ready to be pleasantly surprised.

"The Metro Rocks My Socks" or "My Imagination Runs Rampant"

I love the Metro. So much. I am able to get anywhere I want in the city, for 1 euro. On top of that, it's fast! The longest I've waited for a train? 4 minutes. Longest ride I've been on? 30 minutes. And that includes a transfer. And it would've taken just as long to drive there. It's clean and easy to navigate and makes me feel very cool and grown up. Also, I have an awesome mix on mt ipod to listen to and the train sounds actually make the music even better! Here's my favorite story from the Metro so far...

Like most big cities and subways, the Madrid Metro has musicians that play in the stations and on the trains. Unlike most places I've seen however, most of the musicians bring along amplifiers on wheels that play elevator-esque accompaniment. I find it cheesy and quite frankly, I think it's cheating. The many tunnels and halls of the Metro make it so that when this back-up music is played, the echoes make it impossible to tell what the musician is actually capable of playing. Totally unfair advantage. Although I do admire their commitment to lug around these heavy piece of equipment in order to conform to the acceptable behavior of Spanish street-performers.

The school where I recently started taking Spanish courses is located in Sol. Sol is one of the numerous regions in Madrid that is dubbed the "center." I'm not completely sure which is actually the geographic or cultural center of the city, but Sol is certainly quite busy. The Metro station is no exception. The station corresponds with 4 different lines and you can also access the rail trains. There, in the middle of the hustle and bustle, I viewed one of the greatest love stories ever lived. In the far corner while walking towards the platform for Line 1, there was a man playing his violin. He was older, and reminded me of my grandfather. He had no amplifier and no back up music, and he was playing a beautiful melody. In the seat beside him, his wife sat, turning his pages and looking at him with what I can only imagine, is a lifetime worth of love. In fact, I did imagine it. I wrote the entire story of their lives in that single moment. It was comparable to the Notebook as far as epic love stories go. They stayed together, fought for one another, through disapproving parents, wars, new lovers, distance... Their love was unwavering. Since the moment they were married 49 years ago, they've yet to leave each others side for more than a few days. The husband has always loved music and his wife has always supported him. She has sat with him in that Metro station for 7 years, looking at him with love and turning his pages when he gives a small nod.

At least, that's how I imagine it.

*UPDATE*- My second favorite Metro story? Serenaded on the train today by two middle-aged gentleman playing guitars. Everyone on the train stared and clapped at the end. It was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment